Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionJerry Marsden, one of the world's pre-eminent mechanicians and applied mathematicians, celebrated his 60th birthday in August 2002. The event was marked by a workshop on Geometry, Mechanics, and Dynamics at the Fields Institute for Research in the Mathematical Sciences, of which he wasthefoundingDirector. Ratherthanmerelyproduceaconventionalp- ceedings, with relatively brief accounts of research and technical advances presented at the meeting, we wished to ackwledge Jerry's in?uence as a teacher, a propagator of new ideas, and a mentor of young talent. Con- quently, starting in 1999, we sought to collect articles that might be used as entry points by students interested in ?elds that have been shaped by Jerry's work. At the same time we hoped to give experts engrossed in their own technical niches an indication of the wonderful breadth and depth of their subjects as a whole. This book is an outcome of the e?orts of those who accepted our in- tations to contribute. It presents both survey and research articles in the several ?elds that represent the main themes of Jerry's work, including elasticity and analysis, ?uid mechanics, dynamical systems theory, g- metric mechanics, geometric control theory, and relativity and quantum mechanics. The common thread running through this broad tapestry is the use of geometric methods that serve to unify diverse disciplines and bring a widevarietyofscientistsandmathematicianstogether,speakingalanguage which enhances dialogue and encourages cross-fertilization.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication31/07/2002
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note40 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight1118 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byAlan Weinstein,Paul Newton,Phil Holmes
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.