All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionGeorge W. P. Hunt was a highly colorful Arizona politician. A territorial representative and seven-time Arizona state goverw, Hunt joined Woodrow Wilson in making the Democratic Party the party of Progressive reform. This political biography follows Hunt through his years in the territorial legislature, and then as goverr. Author David R. Berman's well-researched and detailed work features Hunt's battles to stem the powers of large corporations, democratize the political system, defend labor rights, reform the prison system, abolish the death penalty, and protect Arizona's interests in the Colorado River. He had a special concern for the down and out. He found the forgotten man long before Franklin Roosevelt. Hunt was proof that style and physical appearance neither guarantee r preclude political success, for the three-hundred-pound man of odd dress and bumbling speech had a political career that spanned the state's Populism of the 1890s to the 1930s New Deal. Driven by causes, he was very active in public office but took little pleasure in doing the job. Called names by opponents and embarrassed by his lack of formal education, Hunt sometimes showed rage, self-pity, and bitterness at what he saw as betrayals and conspiracies against him. The author assesses Hunt's successes and failings as a political leader and take-charge goverr struggling to produce results in a political system hostile to executive authority. Berman offers a nuanced look at Arizona's first goverr, providing an important new understanding of Arizona's complex political history.
- Author BiographyDavid R. Berman is a professor emeritus of political science and a senior research fellow at the Morrison Institute for Public Policy, Arizona State University, USA. His publications include ten books and more than seventy papers, book chapters, and articles on state and local government, politics, and public policy.
- Author(s)David R. Berman
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Note9 halftones
- Weight399 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.