All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeorge Hurrell (1904--1992) was the creator of the Hollywood glamour portrait, the maverick artist who captured movie stars of the most exalted era in Hollywood history with bold contrast and seductive poses. This lavishly illustrated book spans Hurrell's entire career, from his beginnings as a society photographer to his finale as the celebrity photographer who was himself a celebrity, and a living legend. From 1929 to 1944 Hurrell was the Rembrandt of Hollywood, creating portraits of Marlene Dietrich, Norma Shearer, Bette Davis, Carole Lombard, and Joan Crawford that were a blend of the ethereal and the erotic. His photos of Jane Russell sulking in a haystack made the unkwn girl a star--without a film credit to her name. He immortalized leading males stars of the day from the Barrymores to Clark Gable and Gary Cooper. Latter photo shoots magnified the glamour of the likes of Warren Beatty and Sharon Stone. Through newly acquired photos and in-depth research, photographer and historian Mark A. Vieira, author of Hurrell's Hollywood Portraits, offers t only a wealth of new images but a compelling sequel to the story presented in his earlier book on Hurrell. Hurrell was himself a star--rich, famous, successful. Then, at the height of his career, he suffered a vertigius fall from grace. George Hurrell's Hollywood recounts, for the first time anywhere, Hurrell's rise from the ashes--how movie-still collectors and art dealers pulled the elderly artist into a nefarious world of theft and fraud; how his undiminished powers gave him a second career; and how his mercurial nature nearly destroyed it. The photographs that motivate this tale are lumius, powerful, and timeless. This book showcases more than four hundred, most of which have t been published since they were created. George Hurrell's Hollywood is the ultimate work on this trailblazing artist, a fabulous montage of fact and anecdote, light and shadow.
- Author BiographyMark A. Vieira is a writer, historian, and photographer with over forty years of experience working in Hollywood. He makes portraits using the George Hurrell technique. Mark has lectured at USC, UCLA, Lincoln Center, Universal Studios, the Hollywood Heritage Museum, and the Palm Springs Film Festival. He has appeared in documentaries such as TCM's Moguls and Movie Stars and Playboy's Sex at 24 Frames Per Second. Mark is also the author of several books, including The Making of Some Like It Hot (with Tony Curtis), Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy, and Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood.
- Author(s)Mark A. Vieira
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication22/10/2013
- Place of PublicationReading, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPerseus Books
- Content Note400 B&W photos
- Weight3014 g
- Width262 mm
- Height311 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Foreword bySharon Stone
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.