All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA canical figure in American painting, George Inness (1825-1894) is widely admired as the pioneer of the landscape aesthetic kwn as Tonalism, which is distinguished by soft focus and diaphaus layers of paint. This is the first book about the artist's two Italian sojourns (1851-52 and 1870-74) and their formative impact on his work. Italy-its art and its landscape-offered Inness a font of inspiration as he developed his unique artistic vision. This handsome book presents ten oil paintings surveying Inness's Italian subjects dating from 1850 to 1879, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art's recently restored Twilight on the Campagna, which has t been on view since 1952. This was the first of Inness's works completed in Italy, and its reemergence offers a unique opportunity to reconsider the career of a leading American artist.
- Author BiographyMark D. Mitchell is Associate Curator of American Art and Manager, Center for American Art, and Judy Dion is Luce Foundation Assistant Conservator of Paintings, both at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Author(s)Mark D. Mitchell
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication18/02/2011
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight340 g
- Width207 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.