Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionThe elegant male nude photographs of George Platt Lynes, many never before published, from a newly discovered archive of negatives. George Platt Lynes was the preeminent celebrity portraitist of his day, shooting for Vogue and Harper s Bazaar and creating distinctive photographs of iconic cultural figures such as Diana Vreeland, Salvador Dali, and Orson Welles. But he also produced a separate body of work, kept largely hidden during his lifetime: photographs of the male nude. Many of these photos were shot in the studio and, like his fashion and dance work, were painstakingly posed and lit. They have a cinematic allure that evokes 1940s Hollywood and the lost era of New York s cafe society. Many seem to illustrate some unwritten mythology. Others reveal private obsessions of the photographer, who was always alert to the sculptural qualities of a young man at his most vital. This is the only Platt Lynes book to focus on the male nude images in a comprehensive and carefully considered manner. It is the first book to be published with the cooperation of the artist s estate, which has provided unprecedented access to institutional and private collections, including the Kinsey Institute and the Guggenheim Museum. The result: a trove of unpublished images that are sure to cause a sensation.
- Author BiographySteven Haas is an art historian and a photographer. His ads have appeared in Vogue, Harper s Bazaar, and The New York Times. George P. Lynes II is the nephew of the artist. Allen Ellenzweig is an art and photography critic and the author of The Homoerotic Photograph.
- Author(s)Allen Ellenzweig
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication12/04/2011
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRizzoli International Publications
- Content Note200 Black and White
- Weight2082 g
- Width254 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.