All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Guinness Book of Records called him the most successful football coach in history, but English-born George Rayr is the great unkwn of British football. His remarkable successes (coaching 'amateur' Sweden to an Olympic Gold medal and a World Cup final) were contrasted bizarrely by how he was and has been treated in England since those heady years. Months after becoming the first Englishman to take a side to the World Cup Final, where he pit his skills against the Brazilians of Pele and Garrincha, Rayr was scratching a living coaching Skegness Town in the Midland League. His death went unrecorded by the local and national press and even today references to him in football books give insight into this remarkable character: 'a little kwn clogger' according to one, and in a history of football tactics reference to Rayr is t only fleeting but even his name is misspelt. Yet Rayr unquestionably holds a revered position, internationally, as a leading light of coaching whose impact is still relevant today.
- Author BiographyAshley Hyneworks as a legal representative. He previously wrote for the South London Mercury and for the Association of Football Statistics.
- Author(s)Ashley Hyne
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/05/2014
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note12 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white plates
- Weight272 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.