Georgia O' Keeffe: Circling Around Abstraction by Jonathan Stuhlman, Barbara Buhler Lynes (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.67Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $72.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of America's most invative and popular artists, Georgia O'Keeffe is rightfully celebrated as a pioneer who worked in her own style and on her own terms. Perhaps O'Keeffe's most significant contribution to art history was her unique approach to abstraction. From her groundbreaking charcoal drawings of 1915 to her final paintings from the 1970s over the course of a career spanning more than seven decades, Georgia O'Keeffe consistently incorporated swirling circular forms into her compositions. Her invative use of this motif as a means of abstraction stands in contrast to the strategies adopted by many of her peers, which tended to be Cubist-based, using straight lines and angles rather than curves and circles. Using the circle and its kin - the ellipse, the oval, the spiral, and the arcing line - O'Keeffe explored the shifting terrain between abstraction and representation, sometimes calling upon them forms to represent a mood, a reaction to a sensation, or the spiritual essence of a subject, while at other times using them to encourage her viewers to see new relationships between familiar objects. As she developed her unique pictorial vision, O'Keeffe looked to a wide variety of sources, ranging from the theories of Arthur Wesley Dow and Wassily Kandinsky to the work of her American peers, Asian art, and contemporary photography, constantly seeking inspiration and new ideas, but consistently integrating what she learned into a visual language that was, finally, a highly personal and thoroughly unique contribution to American Modernism. Despite O'Keeffe's broad popularity and the numerous exhibitions devoted to her work both during her lifetime and posthumously, Georgia O'Keeffe: Circling Around Abstraction is the first exhibition devoted to this aspect of her work, and promises to make an important addition to scholarship on both O'Keeffe and twentieth-century American art. The exhibition opens on: 10 February - 6 May 2007, Norton Museum of Art, Palm Beach, Florida; 25 May - 9 September 2007, Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe, New Mexico; and, 7 October 2007 - 6 January, 2008, The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis.
- Author(s)Barbara Buhler Lynes,Jonathan Stuhlman
- PublisherNorton Gallery & School of Art
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationWest Palm Beach, FL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorton Gallery & School of Art
- Content Note51 col.
- Weight957 g
- Width229 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.