All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe assault guns and tank destroyers deployed by the Wehrmacht during the Second World War are t as famous as tanks like the Tiger and Panther, but they were remarkably successful, and they are the subject of Anthony Tucker-Jones's wide-ranging photographic history. As the conflict progressed, the German army had to find a use for its obsolete panzers, and this gave rise to the turretless Sturmgeschutz or assault guns designed for infantry support. From 1944 onwards they played a vital role in Nazi Germany's increasingly defensive war. A selection of rare wartime photographs shows the variety of turretless armoured fighting vehicles that were produced and developed - various models of the Sturmgeschutz III, the Sturmhaubitze, Jagdpanzer, Panzerjager, Marder, Hetzer. Often a lack of tanks meant that these armoured vehicles were called on to fill the panzer's role, and they proved ideal during the Germans' defensive battles on the Eastern Front as well as in Italy and Normandy - they were instrumental in delaying Germany's defeat.This highly illustrated account provides is a fascinating introduction to one of the less well-kwn aspects of armoured warfare during the Second World War.
- Author BiographyAnthony Tucker-Jones is a former defence intelligence officer and a widely published expert on regional conflicts, counter-terrorism and armoured warfare. He is author of over twenty books including the Falaise: The Flawed Victory, Operation Dragoon: The Liberation of Southern France 1944, Armoured Warfare on the Eastern Front, The Kalashnikov in Combat, The Soviet-Afghan War, Tiger I & Tiger II and T-34: The Red Army's Legendary Medium Tank. He is security and terrorism correspondent for intersec - The Journal of International Security and has freelanced for Channel 4 News. For further information his website can be found at www.atuckerjones.com.
- Author(s)Anthony Tucker-Jones
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication12/10/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note160 illustrations
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.