All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionA rare breed in America, the German Spitz is one of Europe's most beloved companion breeds whose popularity in the States has been eclipsed by three spiffs--the Pomeranian, Keeshond, and American Eskimo Dog. Like those three smiling descendants, the German Spitz is a happy-go-lucky, lighthearted companion, ranging in size from Toy (7 inches) to Giant (18 inches), and occurring in all colors and patterns. Owners prize the breed for its fun personality, keen intelligence, and hardy constitution. The opening chapter of this Comprehensive Owner's Guide is dedicated to the history of this breed, tracing its origins from the Peat Dogs of the Stone Age to its rise to favor in Victorian England to its spread throughout Europe and modern-day England. The chapter on the breed's characteristics paints a portrait of this affable, attractive dog, ideal for a family with children, that requires very little of its owners other than grooming, exercise, and lots of love. This full-color edition, written by British dog expert Juliette Cunliffe, is the only book currently available on this terrific companion breed. New owners will welcome the well-prepared chapter on finding a reputable breeder and selecting a healthy, sound puppy. Chapters on puppy-proofing the home and yard, purchasing the right supplies for the puppy as well as house-training, feeding, and grooming are illustrated with photographs of handsome adults and puppies. In all, there are over 135 full-color photographs in this useful and reliable volume. The author's advice on obedience training will help the reader better mold and train into the most well-mannered dog in the neighborhood. The extensive and lavishly illustrated chapter on healthcare provides up-to-date detailed information on selecting a qualified veterinarian, vaccinations, preventing and dealing with parasites, infectious diseases, and more. Sidebars throughout the text offer helpful hints, covering topics as diverse as historical dogs, breeders, or kennels, toxic plants, first aid, crate training, carsickness, fussy eaters, and parasite control. Fully indexed.
- Author(s)Juliette Cunliffe
- PublisherKennel Club Books Inc
- Date of Publication11/08/2005
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Series TitleComprehensive Owner's Guide
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKennel Club Books Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight571 g
- Width175 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Photographs byIsabelle Francais
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Most relevant reviews
- gluewhoau01 Sep, 2016by
Part of this book are obviously German Spitz specific but other parts seem to be 'boiler plate' sections that possibly can be found in other books by this author.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.