Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionDivorce-a horrid seven letter word in 1914?. Gertie MacGregor, became the first and only divorced woman in Laurel, Maryland. At seventeen and in love with Edward Neal, her world was roses and sunshine. She hoped Edward would see the world as she did, but after three years, her blinders were removed. Edward's deep seeded anger ruled him. He shattered her arm and the marriage. Society expected her to make the best of it and keep the marriage vows. She chose divorce. Rejection-Words of condemnation rolled off tongues at Gertie like hot bullets when she was removed as soloist of the church choir. Gazes were averted as she met friends and neighbors. She was denied help in a time of need, and lost her job when she stayed home to care for her sick child. Her chosen path was t accepted in small town America in the early 1900?s. She was ostracized and the pitfalls were many as she struggled to raise her son alone. Gertie filled her life by serving veterans at nearby Ft. Meade, through WWI and WWII. She developed USO clubs and sat at the bedsides of wounded heroes. WWII changed women's place in the world. They became part of the work force and raised children alone. Elear Roosevelt officially recognized Gertie's service. She was redeemed her in the eyes of her community. Jesse Morgan partnered her in service to veterans and brought love back into her life. The beautiful winding staircase in Jesse's home was symbolic of her small steps to some distant height. They walked in perfect accord up the stairs to their future. Courage-Gertie walked through life, poignantly meeting the fears and hardships of war, the devastation of loss and hatred, and the joys and sorrows of love with the grace of heroes.
- Author(s)Faye Green
- Date of Publication18/06/2014
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight785 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.