All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTrapped in the horrors of World War II, a woman and a child embark on a journey of survival in this page-turning true story that recalls the power and the poignancy of Schindler s List. Michael Stolowitzky, the only son of a wealthy Jewish family in Poland, was just three years old when war broke out and the family lost everything. His father, desperate to settle his business affairs, travels to France, leaving Michael in the care of his mother and Gertruda Bablinska, a Catholic nanny devoted to the family. When Michael's mother has a stroke, Gertruda promises the dying woman that she will make her way to Palestine and raise him as her own son. Written with the invaluable assistance of Michael, w seventy-two and living in New York City, GERTRUDA S OATH re-creates Michael and Gertruda s amazing journey. Gripping vignettes bring to life the people who helped ensure their survival, including SS officer Karl Rink, who made it his mission to save Jews after his own Jewish wife was murdered; Rink s daughter, Helga, who escaped to a kibbutz, where she lived until her recent death; and the Jewish physician Dr. Berman, who aided Michael and Gertruda through the worst of times. GERTRUDA S OATH is a story of extraordinary courage and moral strength in the face of horrific events. Like Schindler s List, it transcends history and religion to reveal the compassion and hope that miraculously thrives in a world immersed in war without end. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyRAM OREN is known as the John Grisham of Israel. Formerly a lawyer and journalist, he founded the Keshet publishing company and has written more than sixteen runaway bestsellers. GERTRUDA S OATH is Oren s first English translation sold in the United States. He lives in Israel. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Professor Ram Oren
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintImage Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byProfessor Barbara Harshav
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.