All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in the UK by Sutton Publishing in 1996 (and by Timber Press in the US), this Pimpernel Classic edition has been redesigned and includes new photography. Gertrude Jekyll was probably the most influential garden designer of the early twentieth century. In this classic work Judith Tankard and Martin Wood explore her life and work at the home she created for herself at Munstead Wood in Surrey. Here she exercised her kwledge of architecture and local building skills, and her passion for form, grouping and colour was given full scope in the garden which she designed and worked from scratch. Taking as a basis Gertrude Jekyll's own photographs, scrapbooks and tebooks, and the recollections of contemporaries from Edith Wharton and Vita Sackville-West to William Robinson and Henry Francis Du Pont, the authors describe t only the building and development of the house and garden but also Jekyll's skills both in the arts and as a businesswoman, and her collaborations with architects - pre-eminently Edwin Lutyens, but also Oliver Hill and M.H. Baillie Scott, among many others. This revised edition includes many photographs that have never previously been published.
- Author BiographyMartin Wood is a noted interior designer and writer on interior decoration. Previous books include Nancy Lancaster: English Country House Style (Frances Lincoln, 2005), John Fowler: Prince of Decorators (Frances Lincoln, 2007) and Sister Parish: American Style (Frances Lincoln, 2011). He edited The Unknown Gertrude Jekyll, a collection of over 200 of Jekyll's best writings (Frances Lincoln, 2006). Judith Tankard is an architectural and garden historian. She taught at the Landscape Institute of Harvard University for more than 20 years until her retirement in 2008. She is the author of many books on landscape history including Gertrude Jekyll and the Country House (Rizzoli, 2011).
- Author(s)Judith B. Tankard,Martin Wood
- PublisherThe Pimpernel Press
- Date of Publication21/05/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitlePimpernel Garden Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Pimpernel Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width170 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.