All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBetween 1863 and 1876, the Rolls Series published several works about the abbey of St Albans, edited by Henry Thomas Riley (1816-78) under the rubric Chronica monasterii S. Albani. This account of the achievements of its abbots was compiled and enlarged by Thomas Walsingham (c.1340-c.1422), who supervised the scriptorium at St Albans until 1394, and wrote several other historical works. It appeared in three volumes between 1867 and 1869. The early part of the Gesta reworks earlier accounts, including that by Matthew Paris (d.1259), but the section covering 1308-93 was composed by Walsingham himself and is an important primary source for fourteenth-century English history. Volume 1 covers the period from the foundation of the abbey by King Offa in 793 to 1290. The Latin text (with English side-tes) includes references to the aftermath of the Norman Conquest and to the Fourth Lateran Council.
- Author(s)Thomas Walsingham
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication31/10/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Rolls
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 colour illus.
- Weight830 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byHenry Thomas Riley
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.