Getting into the System: Living with Serious Mental Illness by Gwen Howe (Paperback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.99Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by sunrisebookshop
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.50
About this product
- Description'[the book addresses] through the use of real case studies, the barriers that can be encountered by people suffering mental distress and their relatives in getting access to appropriate care and treatment. The case studies come from the experience of the group members and are subject to group analysis by people who have direct experience of severe mental illness.' -Rostrum 'It is almost written as a training manual and it would be easy to use it in this context, for example to focus on a particular aspect of mental health ...the book benefits from the author's kwledge of mental health services. This short book has a lot to offer.' -Community Care 'There is plenty of food for thought for mental health practitioners here. The participative structure of this book is a real welcome. Much of the book's value [is] in the use of the case studies and exercises to provoke further discussion and debate.' -Mental Health Nursing Written for students, professionals and other mental health workers, Getting Into the System focuses on the sort of problems that commonly arise when families and friends try to get help for an individual who is developing a first-time episode of a serious mental illness. The book is the first volume in the new Living with Serious Mental Illness series. This is concerned with the consumer's experience of different aspects of the mental health services, abd will provide new insight into the needs of sufferers and their families and friends. The author has published extensively on serious mental illness, and is writing this series with, and on behalf of, an Essex-based group of users and carers. Each volume will contain analysis and discussion of individual cases, and the clients' voices on the issues that those who have to cope with a serious mental illness want service providers to understand and appreciate. At a time when there has been considerable emphasis placed on listening to what users and carers have to say, this series should offer a unique training opportunity for those working with this type of illness.
- Author BiographyAfter 15 years in psychiatric social work, including experience of working with the mental health law, Gwen Howe went on in 1989 to pioneer a centre for individuals with serious mental illness which she ran until 1994. She has written five books, including Working with Schizophrenia, also published by Jessica Kingsley Publishing.
- Author(s)Gwen Howe
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication01/11/1997
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleLiving with Serious Mental Illness
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteindex
- Weight208 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.