All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionGhosts of No Child Left Behind politically situates curriculum within a historically and critically informed context, to understand the structural forces that have contributed to the creation of a population of adolescents who read below a third grade level. The book then proposes a reconceptualization of literacy curriculum within a critical discourse to facilitate self-actualizing pedagogy for n-reading adolescents - some of whom are incarcerated. Rooted in a complex understanding of teaching, learning, and kwledge, this book presents information to policymakers, administrators, and educators that is vital to improving literacy instruction, curriculum, and policy. The information presented here can also inform the general public, especially parents, so that they may advocate for an educational infrastructure that promotes empowering literacy development for every student, including n-reading adolescents and younger struggling readers. This book is an unparalleled resource for teacher education courses focusing on literacy, critical pedagogy, policy, bilingual education, special education, and issues in urban education.
- Author BiographyJoanne M. Carris is a literacy specialist and educational consultant in New York City. As an educator for over fifteen years, she has worked in alternative high schools, including juvenile detention center schools. In public schools, she has specialized in literacy development with adolescents who are emerging readers. Carris has a PhD in Urban Education from the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center, a MA in Bilingual Special Education from the Bank Street College of Education, and a MA in Philosophy of Education from the CUNY Graduate Center.
- Author(s)Joanne M. Carris
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/02/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number361
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight450 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.