All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the heart of the ongoing armed conflict in southern Thailand is a fundamental agreement about the history of relations between the Patani Malays and the Thai kingdom. While the Thai royalist-nationalist version of history regards Patani as part of that kingdom since time immemorial, Patani Malay nationalists look back to a golden age when the Sultanate of Patani was an independent, prosperous trading state and a rewned center for Islamic education and scholarship in Southeast Asia - a time before it was defeated, broken up, and brought under the control of the Thai state. While still influential, in recent years these diametrically opposed views of the past have begun to make way for more nuanced and varied interpretations. Patani scholars, intellectuals and students w explore their history more freely and confidently than in the past, while the once-rigid Thai nationalist narrative is open to more pluralistic interpretations. There is growing interaction and dialogue between historians writing in Thai, Malay and English, and engagement with sources and scholarship in other languages, including Chinese and Arabic. In this volume, 13 scholars who have worked on this sensitive region evaluate the current state of current historical writing about the Patani Malays of southern Thailand. The essays in this book demonstrate that an understanding of the conflict must take into account the historical dimensions of relations between Patani and the Thai kingdom, and the ongoing influence of these perceptions on Thai state officials, the militants, and the local population.
- Author BiographyPatrick Jory is a Senior Lecturer in Southeast Asian History at the University of Queensland, Australia. He was formerly coordinator of the Regional Studies programme at Walailak University in southern Thailand.
- PublisherNUS Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintNUS Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPatrick Jory
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.