All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSafe within their cocoons, butterflies only become vulnerable when they emerge to enchant the world with their beauty. Madama Butterfly has been breaking hearts for over a century with its tragic tale of an incent Japanese girl who abandons her faith and her family to marry an American naval lieutenant. Giacomo Puccini created a dozen operas, many of them rooted in his fascination with exotic lands and foreign cultures. Inspired by a London performance of one-act play by American playwright David Belasco, the composer developed an emotionally charged musical score to accompany this tale of devotion, tradition, and sacrifice.The opera's most famous aria, Un bel di vedremo ( One beautiful day, we will see ), in which the heroine professes her faith in her lover, ranks among the most popular works in the sopra repertoire. Dovunque al mondo ( Throughout the world ) characterizes Butterfly's American officer with a musical theme based on The Star Spangled Banner. Other highlights include the endings of each of the three acts: the extended love duet Vogliatemi bene ( Love me, please. ); the wordless beauty of Coro a bocca chiusa, ( Humming Chorus ); and the climactic aria Con or muore ( To die with hor ). This authoritative 1906 edition of one the world's most beloved operas features the original Italian lyrics.
- Author BiographyItalian composer Giacomo Puccini (1858 1924) created La Boheme, Madama Butterfly, Turandot, Tosca, and other beloved operas. He was the most popular opera composer in the world at the time of his death, and his works remain standards of the repertoire.
- Author(s)Giacomo Puccini
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication12/09/2014
- LanguageEnglish & Italian & Multiple languages
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight590 g
- Width192 mm
- Height274 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byCarlo Carignani
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.