All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA comic tale written in verse which shows that more than good intentions are needed to succeed. Giant African Land Snails have invaded the tiny island of Bim. Ras Spear, farmer from Fairy Vale is at his wits end trying to cope with the invasion. A neighbour gives him advice. The young farmer follows this advice and imagines being hailed as a hero but finds himself in hot water instead. Set in the Caribbean the illustrations are colourful and detailed. Read Together: Ages 4 - 6; Read Alone: Ages 6 - 9. In this book Stoute combines a comic tale with information on the Giant African Land Snail. Her goal is to encourage children to be aware of the world around them. Although the first half of the books is fictional, she weaves many topical subjects into the story like fish migration and foods enjoyed by specific nations; she offers many topics which promote discussion long after the text has been read. Silva-Freimane's illustrations are detailed and authentically depict the plants, animals and landscapes of the Caribbean. She creates synergy by using emotionally expressive cartoon type characters to amplify the comic effect. Author Biography: Author, June Stoute was born and educated in Barbados. She has also lived in Curacao, St. Lucia, USA and the UK. She worked for twenty years in the toy industry. This and raising two children kindled an avid interest in education and child development. Stoute's poetry, short stories and picture books have won several awards in the Barbados National Independence Festival of Creative Arts, Barbados. Her interests are eclectic but her primary focus is family and social issues. Stoute's daughter, Jehanne Silva-Freimane, is the illustrator. A self-taught artist, Silva-Freimane, holds a BSc from the University of the West Indies and an MBA from the University of Leeds. She is also creator of an e-commerce art site, Just Some Lines. She resides in Europe with her husband and two young children. The first edition of this book (w out of print)received Silver Awards in the National Independence Festival - Barbados in two categories - poetry and book.
- Author(s)Jehanne Silva-Freimane,June Stoute
- PublisherWord Ways Caribbean
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationChrist Church
- Country of PublicationBarbados
- ImprintWord Ways Caribbean
- Content Note1, colour illustrations
- Weight58 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.