All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMarilyn Ann Moss's Giant examines the life of one of the most influential directors to work in Hollywood from the 1930s to the 1960s. George Stevens directed such popular and significant films as Shane, Giant, A Place in the Sun, and The Diary of Anne Frank. He was the first to pair Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy on film in Woman of the Year. Through the study of Stevens's life and his production history, Moss also presents a glimpse of the workings of the classic Hollywood studio system in its glory days., Moss documents Stevens's role as a powerful director who often had to battle the heads of major studios to get his films made his way. She traces the four decades Stevens was a major Hollywood player and icon, from his earliest days at the Hal Roach Studios-where he learned to be a cameraman, writer, and director for Laurel and Hardy features-up to when his films made millions at the box office and were graced by actors such as Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean, Alan Ladd, and Montgomery Clift.
- Author BiographyMarilyn Ann Moss is a film historian and a scholar of literature. A television critic for The Hollywood Reporter, she lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Marilyn Ann Moss
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Content Note20 b&w photos
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.