All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGilberto Freyre was arguably the most famous intellectual of twentieth-century Latin America. He was active as a sociologist, a historian, a journalist, a cultural critic, a deputy in the Brazilian Assembly, a velist, poet, and artist. He was a cultural critic, with a good deal to say about architecture, past and present, and a public intellectual, whose prouncements on race, region, and empire - t to mention sex - made him famous in some quarters and torious in others. The Masters and the Slaves , his most famous work, went through forty editions and has been translated into nine languages, made into a comic book and a television mini-series, while two directors (one of them Robert Rossellini) planned to turn it into a flim. Yet he is t well kwn to the western world.Freyre was a major social thinker, one of the few who have t come from Western Europe or the USA, and this book argues that we should take account of the pioneering work of this gifted thinker. His ideas are of particular relevance today for both political and academic reasons. His interest in gender, ethnicity, hybridity, identity, globalization, and capitalism ensure that his ideas are still provocative and topical, and ready to be introduced to a wider audience.
- Author BiographyThe Authors: Peter Burke is an internationally renowned historian at the University of Cambridge and has published 25 books including History and Social Theory and Popular Culture in Early Modern Europe (3rd edition forthcoming in 2008 for its 30th anniversary). Maria Lucia G. Pallares-Burke was Professor at the University Sao Paulo and is now an associate of the Centre for Latin American Studies at the University of Cambridge. Her book on the young Freyre, published in Portuguese in 2005, won prizes and wide acclaim.
- Author(s)Maria Lucia G. Pallares-Burke,Peter Burke
- PublisherPeter Lang Ltd
- Date of Publication23/05/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitlePeter Lang Ltd.
- Series Part/Volume Number11
- Place of PublicationWitney
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Lang Ltd
- Weight430 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.