All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA nuanced understanding of state violence and gender (in)equalities must consider the varied and contradictory experiences of armed civilian women, female soldiers, and opponents of gun possession. How is 'feminism' and 'femininity' negotiated in the early 21st century by civilian and military women in a nation that fetishizes guns? This book addresses this social problem by offering a comparative analysis of the particular dilemmas that gender inequality, class inequality, race/racism and U.S. nationalism generate for women of diverse backgrounds who are struggling to balance conventional gender roles, femininity and gendered violence in the United States.
- Author BiographyFrance Winddance Twine is Professor of Sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is an ethnographer, a critical race theorist, and a documentary filmmaker who earned her degree at the University of California, Berkeley. She has published more than 60 books, journal articles, book reviews, and essays. She is the author and an editor of eight books, including Geographies of Privilege (forthcoming, 2013), A White Side of Black Britain: Interracial Intimacy and Racial Literacy (2010), Outsourcing the Womb: Race, Class, and Gestational Surrogacy in a Global Market (Routledge, 2011), Retheorizing Race and Whiteness in the 21st Century (with Charles Gallagher, Routledge, 2011), and Feminism and Antiracism: International Struggles for Justice (New York University Press, 2000). She has served as deputy editor of American Sociological Review, the official journal of the American Sociological Association. Twine currently serves on the international editorial boards of the journals Ethnic and Racial Studies, Sociology, the official journal of the British Sociological Association, and Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power.
- Author(s)France Winddance Twine
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleFraming 21st Century Social Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight226 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.