Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $62.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis text is prompted by two phemena whose paradoxical convergence is seen by some to be altering the experience of urban relations and city planning. On the one hand, forces of globalization push towards conditions of homogenization and deterritorialization, while on the other, a surging politics of identity barricades various groups behind particular claims and ignites violent persecutions. The covert relations between these two phemena is the focus of this volume of essays. The contributors seek to address a number of broad questions, including: what is the role and limit of urban space in the expression of group and individual rights and desires?; do democratic social relations require spatial propinquity?; what, if any, are the characteristics of democratic urban space?; and what role does the individuality of cities play in the production of political culture?
- Author BiographyJoan Copjec is Professor of English and Comparative Literature and Director of the Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Culture at the State University of New York, Buffalo. Michael Sorkin is an award-winning architect and Distinguished Professor of Architecture and Director of the Graduate Program in Urban Design at the City College of New York. His books include The Next Jerusalem, After the World Trade Center, Twenty Minutes in Manhattan and All Over the Map. Ariela Azoulay teaches political thought and visual culture at Brown University. Her website can be found here. Etienne Balibar is a French Marxist philosopher and the most celebrated student of Louis Althusser. He is also one of the leading exponents of French Marxist philosophy and the author of Spinoza and Politics, The Philosophy of Marx and co-author of Race, Nation and Class and Reading Capital.
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication13/05/1999
- Series TitleUrban Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight704 g
- Width164 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byJoan Copjec,Michael Sorkin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.