All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat influences have shaped air power since human flight became a reality more than a hundred years ago? Global Air Power provides insight into the evolution of air power theory and practice by examining the experience of six of the world's largest air forces-those of the United Kingdom, the United States, Israel, Russia, India, and China-and of representative smaller air forces in Pacific Asia, Latin America, and continental Europe. The chapters, written by highly regarded scholars and military leaders, explore how various nations have integrated air power into their armed forces and how they have applied air power in both regular and irregular warfare and in peacetime operations. They cover the organizational, professional, and doctrinal issues that air forces confronted in the past, the lessons learned from victory and defeat, and emerging challenges and opportunities. Further, Global Air Power supplements the traditional military perspective with examinations of the ideological, ecomic, and cultural factors that give air forces their distinctive characters. Chapters show how the interplay among these internal factors, together with external challenges, determines the structure, role, and effectiveness of air forces. Together, these chapters illuminate universal trends as well as similarities and differences among the world's air forces. Its combination of military history and sociopolitical analysis makes Global Air Power especially valuable to a broad range of historians, air power specialists, and general readers interested in national defense and international relations.
- Author BiographyJohn Andreas Olsen is the dean of the Norwegian Defence University College, head of its division for strategic studies, and visiting professor of operational art and tactics at the Swedish National Defence College. He is an active-duty colonel in the Norwegian Air Force and has lectured widely in Europe and the United States. His previous publications include Strategic Air Power in Desert Storm (Frank Cass, 2003) and John Warden and the Renaissance of American Air Power (Potomac Books, 2007). He lives in Oslo, Norway.
- Author(s)John Andreas Olsen
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight813 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.