Global Analysis on Foliated Spaces by Calvin C. Moore, Claude L. Schochet (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $99.11Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFoliated spaces look locally like products, but their global structure is generally t a product, and tangential differential operators are correspondingly more complex. In the 1980s, Alain Connes founded what is w kwn as ncommutative geometry and topology. One of the first results was his generalization of the Atiyah-Singer index theorem to compute the analytic index associated with a tangential (pseudo) - differential operator and an invariant transverse measure on a foliated manifold, in terms of topological data on the manifold and the operator. This second edition presents a complete proof of this beautiful result, generalized to foliated spaces (t just manifolds). It includes the necessary background from analysis, geometry, and topology. The present edition has improved exposition, an updated bibliography, an index, and additional material covering developments and applications since the first edition came out, including the confirmation of the Gap Labeling Conjecture of Jean Bellissard.
- Author BiographyCalvin C. Moore received his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1960 under George Mackey in topological groups and their representations. His research interests have extended over time to include ergodic theory, operator algebras, and applications of these to number theory, algebra, and geometry. He spent from 1960-61 as Postdoc at the University of Chicago and has been on UC Berkeley Mathematics faculty since 1961. He was co-founder (with S. S. Chern and I. M. Singer) of the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, and has held various administrative posts within the University of California. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Claude L. Schochet received his Ph.D. at the University of Chicago under J. P. May, in algebraic topology. His research interests have extended to include operator algebras, foliated spaces, K-theory and non-commutative topology. He taught at Aarhus University (Denmark), Hebrew University (Jerusalem), Indiana University, and has been at WSU since 1976. Since then, he has spent his year long sabbatical leaves at StonyBrook, UCLA, MSRI, U. Maryland, Technion (Haifa, Israel) and has made shorter visits to many other institutions, including Hautes Etudes Sci., University of Copenhagen, and University of California, Berkeley. He has co-authored an AMS Memoir, edited volumes and published many articles. He is a member of the American Mathematical Society, London Mathematical Society, European Mathematical Society, and Israel Mathematics Union.
- Author(s)Calvin C. Moore,Claude L. Schochet
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2005
- Series TitleMathematical Sciences Research Institute Publications
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 9
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.