Save on Other
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $32.06
- AU $18.27Trending at AU $20.02
- AU $18.00Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $18.62Trending at AU $20.62
- AU $15.00Trending at AU $26.02
- AU $21.94Trending at AU $23.04
- AU $16.37Trending at AU $17.20
About this product
- DescriptionThere are w more than three hundred city-regions around the world with populations greater than one million. These city-regions are expanding vigorously, and they present many new and deep challenges to researchers and policy-makers in both the more developed and less developed parts of the world. The processes of global ecomic integration and accelerated urban growth make traditional planning and policy strategies in these regions increasingly inadequate, while more effective approaches remain largely in various stages of hypothesis and experimentation. 'Global City-Regions' represents a multifaceted effort to deal with the many different issues raised by these developments. It seeks at once to define the question of global city-regions and to describe the internal and external dynamics that shape them; it proposes a theorization of global city-regions based on their ecomic and political responses to intensifying levels of globalization; and it offers a number of policy insights into the severe social problems that confront global city-regions as they come face to face with an ecomically and politically neoliberal world. At a moment when globalization is increasingly subject to critical scrutiny in many different quarters, this book provides a timely overview of its effects on urban and regional development, one of its most important (but perhaps least understood) corollaries. The book also offers a series of nuanced visions of alternative possible futures.
- Author BiographyAllen J. Scott was born in England and educated at Oxford University. He is currently professor jointly appointed to the Departments of Policy Studies and Geography at the University of California, Los Angeles. He was a recipient of a Guggenheim fellowship in 1986-7, and was awarded Honors by the Association of American Geographers in 1987. He was elected as corresponding fellow of the British Academy in 1999. In the winter of 1998-9 he occupied the Andre Siegfried Chair in the Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Paris. His most recent books are Regions and the World Economy (Oxford University Press, 1998) and The Cultural Economy of Cities (Sage, 2000).
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication25/01/2001
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous figures
- Weight845 g
- Width162 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byAllen J. Scott
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.