Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $70.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $17.97Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Even though current public interest and engagement in issues of global violence are the results of terribly tragic and disturbing events, it is good that these matters are receiving widespread attention. I argue for a wider use of our voice in the working of global civil society - to be distinguished from military initiatives and strategic activities of governments. The Global Civil Society Yearbook can make a substantial contribution to the expression of public voice without border' - Amartya Sen Suicide bombings, collateral damage, kidnappings and air strikes pepper the lexicon of twenty-first century politics. Global Civil Society 2006/7 explores the complex relationship between violence, civil society and legitimacy in a unique dialogue that crosses political, cultural and religious boundaries. Is the use of violence by n-state actors ever justified? How is violence transmitted from the private to the public sphere? Why is terror and 'the war on terror' catalysing rather than suppressing violence? Do Western and Islamic traditions of thought offer any solutions? This edition of the Yearbook also includes new research on ecomic and social rights, the politics of water, and football. Chapters include: - Not Even a Tree: Can Violence be Justified in a Global Era? Mary Kaldor and Heba Raouf Ezzat - Bringing Violence 'Back Home' Jenny Pearce - Pipe dream or Panacea? Global Civil Society and Ecomic and Social Rights Marlies Glasius - War and Peace: the Role of Global Civil Society Mary Kaldor, Denisa Kostovicova, and Yahia Said - Water: a Global Contestation Willemijn Dicke, Patrick Bond, Fadia Daibes-Murad, Sanjeev Khagram, Alessandro Palmieri, Carlos Vainer, Zoe Wilson and Patricia Wouters - The Church, the Mosque and Global Civil Society Mark Juergensmeyer - The Odd Couple: Football and Global Civil Society David Goldblatt
- Author BiographyHelmut K. Anheier, PhD, is President and Dean at the Hertie School of Governance, and holds a chair of sociology at Heidelberg University. He received his PhD from Yale University in 1986, was a senior researcher at John Hopkins School of Public Policy, Professor of Public Policy and Social Welfare at UCLA's Luskin School of Public Affairs, and Centennial Professor at the London School of Economics. Professor Anheier founded and directed the Centre for Civil Society at LSE, the Center for Civil Society at UCLA, and the Center for Social Investment at Heidelberg. Before embarking on an academic career, he served as social affairs officer to the United Nations. He is author of over 400 publications, and won various international prizes and recognitions for his scholarship. Amongst his recent book publications are Nonprofit Organizations - Theory, Management, Policy (London: Routledge, 2014), A Versatile American Institution: The Changing Ideals and Realities of Philanthropic Foundations with David Hammack (Washington, DC: Brookings, 2013) and The Global Studies Encyclopedia with Mark Juergensmeyer (5 vols, Sage, 2012). He is the principal academic lead of the Hertie School's annual Governance Report (Oxford University Press, 2013-), and currently working on projects relating to indicator research, social innovation, and success and failure in philanthropy.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication02/10/2006
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleGlobal Civil Society - Year Books
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight962 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHelmut K. Anheier,Marlies Glasius,Mary Kaldor
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.81Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.