All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
About this product
- DescriptionOutside Japan, the term 'manga' usually refers to comics originally published in Japan. Yet wadays many publications labelled 'manga' are t translations of Japanese works but rather have been wholly conceived and created elsewhere. These comics, although often derided and dismissed as 'fake manga', represent an important but understudied global cultural phemen which, controversially, may even point to a future of 'Japanese' comics without Japan. This book takes seriously the political ecomy and cultural production of this so-called 'global manga' produced throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia and explores the conditions under which it arises and flourishes; what counts as 'manga' and who gets to decide; the implications of global manga for contemporary ecomies of cultural and creative labour; the ways in which it is shaped by or mixes with local cultural forms and contexts; and, ultimately, what it means for manga to be 'authentically' Japanese in the first place. Presenting new empirical research on the production of global manga culture from scholars across the humanities and social sciences, as well as first person pieces and historical overviews written by global manga artists and industry insiders, Global Manga will appeal to scholars of cultural and media studies, Japanese studies, and popular and visual culture.
- Author BiographyCasey Brienza is Lecturer in Publishing and Digital Media in the Department of Culture and Creative Industries at City University London, UK.
- Author(s)Dr. Casey Brienza
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2015
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 10 b&w illustrations
- Weight556 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.