Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $60.03Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGerard Goggin has produced an incisive and penetrating overview of the world according to mobiles. Covering sight, sound and status, plus a host of other issues, he provides a provocative analysis of how mobile communication gadgets come to play such a prominent role in our lives. Any scholar of New Media will want to read this book - James Katz, Department of Communication, Rutgers University, USA With billions of users worldwide, the cell phone is t only a successful communications techlogy; it is also key to the future of media. Global Mobile Media offers an overview of the complex topic of mobile media, looking at the emerging industry structures, new media ecomies, mobile media cultures and network politics of cell phones as they move centre-stage in media industries. The development, adoption and significance of cell phones for society and culture have been registered in a growing body of work. Where existing books have focused on communication, and on the social and cultural aspects of mobile media, Global Mobile Media looks at the media dimensions. Goggin provides a pioneering yet measured evaluation of how cell phone corporations, media interests, users and policy makers are together shaping a new media dispensation. Global Mobile Media successfully places new mobile media historically, socially and culturally in a wider field of portable media techlogies through extensive case studies, including: * the rise of smartphones, with a detailed discussion of the Apple iPhone and how it has catalysed a new phase in convergent media, audiences and invation * the new agenda in cultural politics and media policy, featuring topics such as iPhone apps and control, mobile commons, and open mobile networks * a succinct map of the political ecomy of mobile media, identifying key players, patterns of ownership and control, institutions, and issues * a critical account of cell phones' involvement in and contribution to much-discussed new forms of production and consumption, such as user-generated content, p2p networks, open and free source software networks * an anatomy of how cell phones relate to other online media, particularly the Internet and wireless techlogies. Global Mobile Media is an engaging, accessible text which will be of immense interest to upper-level undergraduates, postgraduates and researchers in Communication Studies, Cultural Studies and Media Studies, as well as those taking New Media courses.
- Author BiographyGerard Goggin is Professor of Digital Communication in the Journalism and Media Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia. His research interests focus on mobile media, Internet, disability, media history and policy. Previous publications include Internationalizing Internet Studies (2009), Mobile Technologies: From Telecommunications to Media (with Larissa Hjorth, 2009), Mobile Phone Cultures (2008), Mobile Media (with Larissa Hjorth, 2007), Cell Phone Culture (2006) and Digital Disability (2003).
- Author(s)Gerard Goggin
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.