All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together contributors across the disciplines to examine the local, national, regional and global processes that have shaped Maghribi societies, ecomies and politics since the colonial period. Focusing equally on the local shape of global processes and on the broader significance of particular 'ways of doing things', these studies move beyond generalisations about globalisation and its impact on local societies, whether developmental or detrimental, of the 'global in the local', or of 'glocalisation'. Cases range from the onset of the 'first wave' of globalisation in the colonial era to the most recent developments in identity politics, consumerism, and telecommunications. Contributors show how nationalising and globalising influences are seized, remade, and put to work in very different ways by High Atlas farmers or urban real estate speculators, human rights activists at the edge of the Sahara and amateur theatre actors in Mediterranean towns. Always located somewhere, these social actors netheless act in different ways, with different effects, at different levels of engagement, whether with each other, their own governments, or the wider world. This book was published as a special issue of the Journal of North African Studies.
- Author BiographyJames McDougall is a Fellow of Trinity College at the University of Oxford, where he teaches modern European and world history, with a focus on the Middle East, Northwest Africa, and the global history of Islam. Robert P. Parks is the Founding Director of the Centre d'Etudes Maghrebines en Algerie, at the American Institute for Maghrib Studies' Overseas Research Center in Algeria.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJames McDougall,Robert P. Parks
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.