Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $88.89Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $112.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe societies of the present world are experiencing many turbulent changes. New forces of change and modernization are driving people, business and cultures across borders. The world has become a home to a new generation of homo sapiens who are curious about others but, at the same time, cherish to preserve their own cultures. What is the nature of this evolving world society? Is the world driving toward a new global civilization-an end of history - or an inevitable civilizational clash? The present volume has brought together leading scholars in the field to examine the concept of globalization, deliberate on the character of its multifaceted nature and expressions, and delineate its impact on the emerging world ecomy, politics, culture, and science. A number of substantive issues such as the emergence of new global ecomic inequality, culture and the role of the trans-nationals, nature of the emerging global environmental regimes, rise of the NICs, and the conflicting role of the nation-states in the face of the advancing forces of globalization are addressed. It is contended that globalization should be perceived neither as an unbounded ecomic progress r as an expansion of western domination. Globalization is, rather, defined as a new development strategy--a process of change that can be planned, guided, and controlled. For national political and business leaders of the world, the volume provides a blueprint of the emerging areas of policy concerns and guidance. For the world of social science, it presents a road-map of the emerging intellectual issues and challenges. Contributors are Alessandro Bonan, Stephen W.K. Chiu, Douglas Constance, Richard J. Estes, R. Scott Frey, Archibald O. Haller, George A. Miller, Proshanta K. Nandi, Winifred R. Poster, J. Timmons Roberts, Shahid M. Shahidullah, Bam Dev Sharda, and Alvin Y. So.
- Author BiographyProshanta K. Nandi is Professor of Sociology at the University of Illinois at Springfield. A Fulbright Scholar, he received his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Minnesota. Author of the book Quality of Life of Asian Americans , Nandi has published numerous articles in national and international journals. His research interests include quality of life, Third World, racial and ethnic minorities, and conflict resolution. Shahid M Shahidullah is Assistant Professor of Sociology, Virginia State University, Virginia, USA. He received his doctoral in Sociology from the University of Pittsburgh. His research has been published in a number of edited books and journals. His book Capacity-Building in Science and Technology in the Third World was published by Westview Press in 1991.
- Date of Publication05/08/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleInternational Studies in Sociology & Social Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 71
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight372 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Volume editorProshanta K. Nandi,Shahid M. Shahidullah
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.77Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.