All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrench President Charles de Gaulle (1958-1969) has consistently fascinated contemporaries and historians. His vision-conceived out of national interest-of uniting Europe under French leadership and overcoming the Cold War still remains relevant and appealing. De Gaulle's towering personality and his challenge to US hegemony in the Cold War have inspired a vast number of political biographies and analyses of the foreign policies of the Fifth Republic mostly from French or US angle. In contrast, this book serves to rediscover de Gaulle's global policies how they changed the Cold War. Offering truly global perspectives on France's approach to the world during de Gaulle's presidency, the 13 well-matched essays by leading experts in the field tap into newly available sources drawn from US, European, Asian, African and Latin American archives. Together, the contributions integrate previously neglected regions, actors and topics with more familiar and newly approached phemena into a global picture of the General's international policy-making. The volume at hand is an example of how cutting-edge research benefits from multipolar and multi-archival approaches and from attention to big, middle and smaller powers as well as institutions.
- Author BiographyChristian Nuenlist is a lecturer in contemporary history at the University of Zurich and a foreign desk editor at the Swiss daily Aargauer Zeitung. He is the author of Kennedys rechte Hand (1999) and the co-editor of Origins of the European Security System (2008). Anna Locher is an independent historian and publicist. She is the author of NATO, de Gaulle, and the Future of the Alliance, 1963-1966 (2010) and the coeditor of Transforming NATO in the Cold War (2007). Garret Martin is editor at large with the European Institute, based in Washington, DC.
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication27/04/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleThe Harvard Cold War Studies Book Series
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight653 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byAnna Locher,Christian Nuenlist,Garret Martin
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.