All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionGoal! covers the history of the beautiful game from its origins in English public schools in the early 19th century to its current role as a crucial element of a globalized entertainment industry. The authors explain how football transformed from a sport at elite boarding schools in England to become a pastime popular with the working classes, enabling factories such as the Thames Iron Works and the Woolwich Arsenal to give birth to the teams that would become the Premier League mainstays kwn as West Ham United and Arsenal. They also explore how the age of amateur soccer ended and, with the advent of professionalism, how football became a sport dominated by big clubs with big money and with an international audience. There are intense rivalries in soccer, such as that in Glasgow, Scotland, between (Catholic) Celtic and (Protestant) Rangers, and the authors examine closely the social causes that make for such passionate fans. The book also discusses the use of soccer for political purposes, such as in Hitler's Germany and Franco's Spain. And - given the long-standing association of soccer as a man's sport and the rise of women's soccer, especially in the United States - the authors look at the gendered history of the world's most popular sport. This book, which will appeal to all conisseurs of soccer, provides a lens through which to view the social and cultural history of modern Europe.
- Author BiographyFabian Brandle works for the Atelier for Direct Democracy at St. Ursanne (Switzerland). Christian Koller is director of the Swiss Social Archives and adjunct professor of modern history at the University of Zurich (Switzerland).
- Author(s)Christian Koller,Fabian Brondle
- PublisherThe Catholic University of America Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- LanguageEnglish & German
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Catholic University of America Press
- Weight1134 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine51 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.