All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe current political, ecomic and financial crises facing the EU reveal a deeper cultural, indeed spiritual, malaise - a crisis in 'the soul of Europe'. Many observers are concluding that the EU cant be restored to health without a new appreciation of the contribution of religion to its past and future, and especially that of its hugely important but widely neglected Christian heritage, which is alive today even amidst advancing European secularization. God and the EU offers a fresh, constructive and critical understanding of Christian contributions to the origin and development of the EU from a variety of theological, national and political perspectives. It explains the Christian origins of the EU; documents the various ways in which it has been both affirmed and critiqued from diverse theological perspectives; offers expert, theologically-informed assessments of four illustrative policy areas of the EU (religion, finance, environment, science); and also reports on the place of religion in the EU, including how religious freedom is framed and how contemporary religious actors relate to EU institutions and vice versa. This book fills a major gap in the current debate about the future of the European project and will be of interest to students and scholars of religion, politics and European studies.
- Author BiographyJonathan Chaplin is Director of Kirby Laing Institute for Christian Ethics, Cambridge and member of the Divinity faculty, Cambridge University, UK. Gary Wilton is Programme Director of Faith and International Affairs, Wilton Park-Executive Agency of FCO, and former Archbishop of Canterbury's Representative to the European Union.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/12/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Religion and Politics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables
- Weight618 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byGary Wilton,Jonathan Chaplin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $61.76
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $52.72
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.