All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNow available in English for the first time, a controversial work that indicts the Vatican for its actions before and during World War II. In the decade preceding the outbreak of World War II, the Vatican made a devil's bargain with fascist leaders. Anticipating that their regimes would eliminate a common enemy--namely Marxist-Leninist communism--two popes essentially collaborated with Hitler, Mussolini, and the fascist dictators in Spain (Franco) and Croatia (Pavelić). This is the damning indictment of this well-researched polemic, which for almost five decades in Germany has sparked controversy, outrage, and furious debate. Now it is available in English for the first time. Many will dismiss Deschner--who himself was raised and educated in a pious Catholic tradition--as someone who is obsessed with exposing the failings of the church of his upbringing. But he has marshaled so many facts and presented them with such painstaking care that his accusations cant easily be igred. The sheer weight of the evidence that he has brought together in this book raises a host of questions about a powerful institution that continues to exercise political influence to this day.
- Author BiographyKarlheinz Deschner (Hassfurt am Main, Germany) is the author or editor of forty-six books including novels, literary criticism, essays, aphorisms, and, above all, critical history of religion and the church. He is best known for his multivolume Criminal History of Christianity, the tenth volume of which was published in March 2013. He has enthralled and provoked his audiences over the years with more than two thousand public lectures. In 1971 he was called before a court in Nuremberg, charged with insulting the Church. He is the first German to be recognized with the International Humanist Award. Among his other awards are the Arno Schmidt, Alternative Buchner, Erwin Fischer, and Ludwig Feuerbach Prizes. Learn more at www.deschner.info.
- Author(s)Karlheinz Deschner
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication08/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Weight299 g
- Width150 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.