Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.19Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.40Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by marlowes_books
- Est. delivery by 7 Mar
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1931 Kurt Godel published his fundamental paper, On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica and Related Systems. This revolutionary paper challenged certain basic assumptions underlying much research in mathematics and logic. Godel received public recognition of his work in 1951 when he was awarded the first Albert Einstein Award for achievement in the natural sciences-perhaps the highest award of its kind in the United States. The award committee described his work in mathematical logic as one of the greatest contributions to the sciences in recent times. However, few mathematicians of the time were equipped to understand the young scholar's complex proof. Ernest Nagel and James Newman provide a readable and accessible explanation to both scholars and n-specialists of the main ideas and broad implications of Godel's discovery. It offers every educated person with a taste for logic and philosophy the chance to understand a previously difficult and inaccessible subject. Marking the 50th anniversary of the original publication of Godel's Proof, New York University Press is proud to publish this special anniversary edition of one of its bestselling and most frequently translated books. With a new introduction by Douglas R. Hofstadter, this book will appeal students, scholars, and professionals in the fields of mathematics, computer science, logic and philosophy, and science.
- Author BiographyErnest Nagel was John Dewey Professor of Philosophy at Columbia University. James R. Newman was the author of What is Science. Douglas R. Hofstadter is College of Arts and Sciences Professor of computer science and cognitive science at Indiana University and author of the Pulitzer-prize winning Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
- Author(s)Ernest Nagel,James R. Newman
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2001
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteb&w line drawings throughout
- Weight340 g
- Width132 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byDouglas R. Hofstadter
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.