All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'The study of Goethe's life is a task that each generation must undertake anew'. Thus writes Richard Friedenthal, author of this rich biography of Johann Goethe. Spanning eight momentous decades of war, revolution, and social upheaval, Goethe's life reveals itself as one of conflict and dynamic development, of inner contradiction and unceasing creativity. As velist, dramatist, and poet, Goethe produced epochal works of fiery romanticism, only later to dedicate himself to a classical ideal of purity and measure. His superb love lyrics immortalize a succession of ardent relationships; yet, in him too, was a strain of frigid egotism mingled with an Olympian detachment. The new introduction serves to place in perspective this outstanding work on the German master. He was capable of tirelessly- exploring the external world - as physiologist, geologist, and botanist. He was equally capable of plunging to the depths of profound subjective analysis. A minister of state, a model of distinguished probity, Goethe netheless lived a life of passionate seeking eternally questioning official values. Nothing perhaps better sums up this vast complexity than his lifelong work, Faust , the supreme dramatization of man's quest on earth.
- Author BiographyRichard Friedenthal (1896-1979) was a prominent German British writer, poet and author. In his lifetime he was the vice president of the PEN Center of the German Speaking Authors Abroad and also worked at the British Broadcasting Corporation. Some of his works include Karl Marx, Great Stories, and Luther - His Life and Time. Martha Friedenthal-Haase founded the Department of Educational Theory and Adult Education at the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena. She is the author of numerous books and articles including most recently Personality and Biography.
- Author(s)Richard Friedenthal
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication15/06/2010
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width147 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Introduction byMartha Friedenthal-Haase
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.