All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBefore William Jennings Bryan successfully prosecuted John Scopes in the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial, he was a prominent antievolution agitator in Florida. In Going Ape , Brandon Haught tells the riveting story of how the war over teaching evolution began and unfolded in Florida, one of the nation's bell--wether states. This conflict still simmers just below the surface, waiting for the right moment to engulf the state. The saga opens with the first shouts of religious persecution and child endangerment in 1923 Tallahassee and continues today with forced delays and extra public hearings in state-level textbook adoptions. These cease--less battles feature some of the most colourful culture warriors imaginable: a real estate tycoon throwing his fortune into campaigns in Miami; lawmakers attempting to insert the mandatory teaching of creationism into bills; and pastors and school board members squabbling in front of the national media that descends into their small town. The majority of participants, however, have been, and still are, average people, and Haught expertly portrays these passionate citizens and the sense of moral duty that drives each of them. Given a social climate where the teaching of evolution continues to sharply divide neighbours and communities, Going Ape is a must-read for anyone con--cerned with the future of public education.
- Author BiographyBrandon Haught is a former Marine Corps combat correspondent and current public in-formation officer with the Volusia County Sher--iff's Office. He is a founding board member and volunteer communications director for Florida Citizens for Science.
- Author(s)Brandon Haught
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight535 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.