All listings for this product
About this product
- Description!Golazo! recounts the story of Latin American football: the extravagantly talented players; pistol-toting referees; bloody coup d'etats; breath-taking goals; invidious conspiracies; strikers with matinee idol looks and a taste for tango dancers; alcoholism; suicide and some of the most exhilarating teams ever to take the field. But it is also gripping social history. Andreas Campomar shows how the sport that started as the eccentric pastime of a few ex-pat cricket players has become a defining force, the architect of national identity and a reflection of the region's soul. How can you hope to understand this tumultuous and disparate collection of young republics without first understanding the game that has become such a dominant presence in every corner of South American society? Including t only the well-kwn heroes of 'the beautiful game' - Garrincha, Maradona, Pele, Schiaffi, Di Stefa, Sanchez and Messi - but also the numerous forgotten gems of Latin American football - 'The Black Chief', Obdulio Varela; Hele de Freitas, the Brazilian who squandered his talent and died half-mad with syphilis; the unstoppable River Plate of La Maquina; El Ballet Azul, the Colombian team who were so lavishly gifted that they all but dispensed with defending and the indomitable Bolivian team of the early 1990s - !Golazo! is the extraordinary tale of how football came to define a continent.
- Author BiographyAndreas Campomar is a publishing director, and has reviewed for, among others, the Daily Telegraph, Times Literary Supplement and the Spectator. He is the great-grand-nephew of Dr Enrique Buero, the man who convinced Jules Rimet to stage the first World Cup in Montevideo and later became Vice-president of FIFA.
- Author(s)Andreas Campomar
- PublisherQuercus Publishing
- Date of Publication06/08/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintQuercus Publishing
- Weight384 g
- Width131 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.