Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionGold Cloths of Sumatra combines the interpretive approaches of textile scholarship and cultural anthropology to explore songket aesthetics, as this remarkable shining gold cloth moves beyond ceremonial contexts to become a hot item as a marketable commodity, for sale as heritage textile and collectible. Chapters focus on contemporary songket craft by Minangkabau, Palembang, and Jambi weavers, set against a background of nineteenth-century songket weaving excellence. As commodities, present-day Sumatran songkets show high levels of weaving creativity and technical brilliance, making songkets a resilient art.
- Author BiographySusan Rodgers is professor of anthropology at the College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts. She is the author of Telling Lives, Telling History: Autobiography and Historical Imagination in Indonesia. Anne Summerfield and John Summerfield are the authors of Walk in Splendor: Ceremonial Dress and the Minangkabau. Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Art Gallery, College of the Holy Cross.
- Author(s)S. Rodgers
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Notemaps, figures
- Weight585 g
- Width215 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.