All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $14.10Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe state of California votes on secession in the wake of a divisive presidential election in this gripping, prescient vel of marriage, family, and the profound moments that shape our lives. Doctor Julie Walker has just signed her divorce papers when she receives news that her younger sister, Heather, has gone into labor. Though theirs is a strained relationship, Julie sets out for the hospital to be at her sister s side easy task since the streets of San Francisco are filled with tension and strife. Today is also the day that Julie will find herself at the epicenter of a violent standoff in which she is forced to examine both the promising and the painful parts of her past her Southern childhood; her romance with her husband, Tom; her estrangement from Heather; and the shattering incident that led to her greatest heartbreak. Infused with emotional depth and poignancy, Golden State takes readers on a journey over the course of a single, unforgettable day through an extraordinary landscape of love, loss, and hope. Praise for Golden State A stirring look at the ties that bind husband-wife, mother-child and even sisters, and what happens when they re torn asunder. Set in a San Francisco chafing with unrest both political and personal, the world Richmond creates is exquisitely charged with regret and hope. Family Circle [A] riveting read that can be recommended to fans of Jodi Picoult and Jacquelyn Mitchard . . . Mesmerizing and intricate, Richmond s dissection of a California on the violent brink of secession from the nation provides the backdrop to her deeper inspection of the uneasy, fragile relationship between siblings. Booklist (starred review) [An] amazing, turbulent vel woven of disparate threads . . . Nearly every feature of this mesmerizing vel is provocative, as Richmond explores the fragmented, hopeful lives of complex characters. This is gripping, multilayered must-read fiction. Library Journal (starred review) An exciting premise . . . skillfully written . . . Julie s past and her relationship with the other characters are scrutinized as the clock ticks. It s an interesting and sometimes-disturbing study. Kirkus Reviews Richmond takes readers through a bittersweet, heartwarming tale of a woman on the cusp of life-changing events in both her personal and professional lives. . . . Once invested, the reader is carried away by this action-packed, poignant story, making this a tale that will live in the heart of the reader once the last page is read. RT Book Reviews This is a thoughtful book about how past circumstances change us into the people we are today, for the good or bad. Julie is a sympathetic and relatable character, and readers will definitely feel for her as she goes through her life-changing day. The ParkersburgNews and Sentinel Richmond . . . delivers a page-turner. San Jose Mercury News A breathtaking read and one I ll t soon forget. Melanie Benjamin, author ofThe Aviator s WifeLook for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader s Circle for author chats and more.
- Author BiographyMichelle Richmond is the bestselling author of The Year of Fog, No One You Know, Dream of the Blue Room, and the award-winning The Girl in the Fall-Away Dress. A native of Alabama s Gulf Coast, she makes her home in Northern California.
- Author(s)Michelle Richmond
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication26/02/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Doubleday Dell
- Out-of-print date24/11/2015
- Weight213 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.