All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCarlo Goldoni (1707-1793) is widely recognized as one of Italy's finest playwrights, but his production for the operatic theatre is much less well kwn. While musicologists have established the importance of Goldoni's invations in the form of the comic libretto, literary scholars have tended to see the drammi giocosi as at best a pale reflection of the plays, and at worst a distortion of the real Goldoni.In Goldoni as Librettist, Emery traces the complex web of relationships between plays and libretti, illustrating the ways in which the author used his operas to prepare for the comedies, or to experiment with themes to which the plays were closed. This reading of Goldoni's operatic texts t only confirms their status as a form of literary activity, but also allows us to more fully understand Goldoni's development as a playwright.
- Author BiographyThe author: A specialist in Italian literature of the eighteenth century. Ted Emery received his Ph.D. from Brown University in 1985, and has since published articles on Goldoni, Chiari, and Gozzi in Studi goldoniani, Italica, Italian Quarterly, and Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture. With Albert Bermel, he has translated and edited Five Tales for the Theatre by Carlo Gozzi. Emery has been the recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship, a Thomas J. Watson Fellowship, and a Mellon Presidential Fellowship for junior faculty at New York University, where he is assistant professor of Italian.
- Author(s)Ted Emery
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/1992
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleStudies in Italian Culture
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight500 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.