All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSpanish Town is an old town. As Jamaica's capital for nearly 350 years and subsequently as a major urban centre, its streets and squares witnessed key political and social transitions. But although the once proud city has lost all its ancient glory, Spanish Town has a rich and textured legacy. James Robertson guides the reader through the landmarks, identifying sites and scenes long lost and showing what is still there to be appreciated. His account of Spanish Town's long history is firmly rooted in the streets and lances of the town, its oks and niches, sounds and smells. The urban landscape he presents is a peopled landscape, inhabited by rich and poor, enslaved and free, tables and eccentrics, Africans and Europeans. He shows convincingly that the colonial capital provided both a cultural and political counterpoise to the colony's merchants and plantations and that its diverse in habitants had created a 'creole town' as early as 1750 when they were still preparing to build Spanish Town's splendid Georgian square in the midst of its multiplying yards. The work is based on extensive research in scattered archives and is illustrated by a variety of rare and wonderful images.
- Author(s)James Robertson
- PublisherIan Randle Publishers,Jamaica
- Date of Publication02/08/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintIan Randle Publishers,Jamaica
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, ports.
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.