All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book has one central theme: how, in the United Kingdom, can we create better cities and towns in which to live and work and play? What can we learn from other countries, especially our near neighbours in Europe? And, in turn, can we provide lessons for other countries facing similar dilemmas? Urban Britain is t functioning as it should. Social inequalities and regional disparities show little sign of going away. Efforts to generate growth, and spread it to the poorer areas of cities, have failed dismally. Much new urban development and redevelopment is t up to standard. Yet there are cities in mainland Europe, which have set new standards of high-quality sustainable urban development. This book looks at these best-practice examples - in Germany, the Netherlands, France and Scandinavia, - and suggests ways in which the UK and other countries could do the same. The book is in three parts. Part 1 analyses the main issues for urban planning and development - in ecomic development and job generation, sustainable development, housing policy, transport and development mechanisms - and probes how practice in the UK has fallen short. Part Two embarks on a tour of best-practice cities in Europe, starting in Germany with the country's boosting of its cities' ecomies, moving to the spectacularly successful new housing developments in the Netherlands, from there to France's integrated city transport, then to Scandinavia's pursuit of sustainability for its cities, and finally back to Germany, to Freiburg - the city that 'did it all'. Part Three sums up the lessons of Part Two and sets out the key steps needed to launch a new wave of urban development and regeneration on a radically different basis.
- Author BiographySir Peter Hall (1932 - 2014) was Bartlett Professor of Planning and Regeneration at University College London, and President of both the Town and Country Planning Association and the Regional Studies Association. He produced over fifty books in his career and is internationally renowned for his studies on all aspects of cities and regions.
- Author(s)Peter Hall
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/09/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitlePlanning, History and Environment Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note110 black & white halftones
- Weight703 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.