All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book for the first time offers a comprehensive and contemporary account of the state of civil services in South Asia countries. It brings together experiences of former senior bureaucrats and critics from India and other SAARC nations to affirm the state of civil service and the need for reforms. While there have been studies describing the character, structure and the progress of the administrative systems in South Asia, there is comprehensive account on the region's present bureaucracy. This book attempts to bridge that gap through 15 insightful chapters by experts and experienced bureaucrats. There is a general introduction too by the editor. The chapters have been divided thematically into four parts. The first two parts discuss the present state of civil service in India and possible reforms. The third part offers a comparative account of the functioning of civil service commissions in the SAARC nations. The fourth part has case studies based on on-the-job experience of bureaucrats from SAARC countries that describes how the system functions within the parameters of good governance.
- Author BiographyK. S. Chalam is a well-known political economist and educationist, and a former member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), New Delhi. He has been the Vice Chancellor of the Dravidian University in Andhra Pradesh and had taught in the Department of Economics, Andhra University, between 1976 and 2005. He is known as the founder of the Academic Staff College Scheme in the country and was its first director. Dr Chalam was on the Planning Board of the Madhya Pradesh government during 2002-04. He was the recipient of the UGC Young Social Scientist Award in Economics in 1984. Author of Caste-Based Reservations and Human Development in India (2007, SAGE) and Economic Reforms and Social Exclusion (2011, SAGE), he has travelled widely and has participated in and chaired sessions at various international conferences. Currently, Dr Chalam is associated with National Human Rights Commission, New Delhi, as a Special Rapporteur.
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight476 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byK. S. Chalam
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.53
- AU $21.10Trending at AU $22.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.