All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThough the proportion of women in national assemblies still barely scrapes 16% on average, the striking outliers - Rwanda with 49% of its assembly female, Argentina with 35%, Liberia and Chile with new women presidents this year - have raised expectations that there is an upward trend in women's representation from which we may expect big changes in the quality of governance. But getting women into public office is just the first step in the challenge of creating governance and accountability systems that respond to women's needs and protect their rights. Using case studies from around the world, the essays in this volume consider the conditions for effective connections between women in civil society and women in politics, for the evolution of political party platforms responsive to women's interests, for local government arrangements that enable women to engage effectively, and for accountability mechanisms that answer to women. The book's argument is that good governance from a gender perspective requires more than more women in politics. It requires fundamental incentive changes to orient public action and policy to support gender equality.
- Author BiographyAnne Marie Goetz is a Professor of Political Science at the Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, currently on leave and working as an advisor on governance, peace and security to the UN Development Fund for Women. She is the author of five books on the subjects of gender and politics in developing countries, and on accountability reforms.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleRoutledge/UNRISD Research in Gender and Development
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 black & white tables
- Weight460 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byAnne Marie Goetz
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.