All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.72
About this product
- DescriptionGoverrs Island is a 172-acre park just 800 yards from Manhattan. It was a military base for 200 years and only opened to the public in 2004. Today it draws 500,000 visitors a season. This insightful guidebook is for any visitor to the island: a bicyclist who just wants to enjoy five miles of car-free biking, the Civil War enthusiast that wants to visit Castle Williams and see where 1,000 Confederate soldiers were imprisoned, or families on a picnic. The author explores the history of the island, its place in New York and American government, and its long and distinguished military past. More than 80 locations are featured that visitors can explore-from forts to officers housing and much more.
- Author BiographyKevin C. Fitzpatrick is an independent historian who writes and gives lectures on New York City history. He is a graduate of Northeast Missouri State University and served in the U.S. Marine Corps. After his hitch he entered journalism and worked in newspapers, magazines, advertising agencies, and television in New York. Fitzpatrick is a licensed New York City Sightseeing Guide and has been leading walking tours for almost 15 years. He leads tours of Manhattan, Governors Island, and Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn. He is also the author of The Algonquin Round Table New York: A Historical Guide (Lyons Press) and Under the Table: A Dorothy Parker Cocktail Guide (Lyons Press).
- Author(s)Kevin C. Fitzpatrick
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication15/02/2016
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleHistorical Tours
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGlobe Pequot Press
- Content Note106 black & white halftones, 8 maps
- Weight208 g
- Width139 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.