All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the expansion of Higher Education has resulted in an increase in the numbers of disadvantaged young people attending university, the benefits of participation are unclear. This report focuses on the young people's progress from full-time study into the graduate labour market. It highlights the difficulties they encounter and the different types of employment gained. The authors consider whether the time and money the young people invested in Higher Education has paid off in terms of the standards of education achieved, employment outcomes, and the young people's perceptions of themselves, their careers and their lives in general. Graduates from disadvantaged families is essential reading for careers advisers, recruitment personnel, and researchers with an interest in Higher Education and the graduate labour market. It will also be valuable reading for academics, practitioners and policy makers in the fields of education, social policy, youth and labour market studies. Two earlier reports, also published by The Policy Press, are Losing out? Socioecomic disadvantage and experience in further and higher education (2003) and Socioecomic disadvantage and access to higher education (2000).
- Author BiographyAndy Furlong is Professor of Sociology in the School of Business and Management, University of Glasgow. Fred Cartmel is Lecturer in Sociology in the Department of Sociology and Applied Social Sciences, University of Glasgow. Both have written extensively on young people's experiences in education and the labour market.
- Author(s)Andy Furlong,Fred Cartmel
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.