All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTen-year-old Nathan Greene lives with his grandparents on their neglected farm in a town filled with quirky characters, including resident busybody Millie; an old hermit who inexplicably points a light-up sign at his house; and the alien-obsessed Horaces, who call their chickens free-range, just so they don't have to build a coop. Gram is prim and practical, but Gramps has a naughty streak that leaves him doing things (out of Gram's sight, of course) like pretending he's a country bumpkin when the water tester comes to town, and taking a citified college grad on a snipe hunt. But he also has eugh love for his grandson that he crafts magical stories about Nathan's father, helping to bring him to life for the son who never knew him. Through one pivotal year, the Greene family must deal with unexpected difficulties, including possibly losing their home, and Gramps' diagsis with MS. (According to Old Horace, MS is women who don't want one to kw if they're married. ) They embrace the promise that we can get through challenging times with humor, faith, and the love and support of family and community--as crazy as they may be. Together, they can help you get through anything. Except, maybe, for Gram's rhubarb pie. Thirty chapters of character-driven stories--sweet, silly, or sentimental--weave together in this heartwarming memoir-style tale set in the early 1990s rural Midwest. Suitable reading for all, ages 10 through adult.
- Author BiographyMelissa J. Taylor has been writing books since she first learned how to hold a pencil the wrong way. (Her aunt, a teacher, had to bribe her to learn the other way.) Her first book went something like this: Mom. Tom. Tom Mom. Mom Tom. No one knew any Tom, and perhaps that's why the book was a miserable failure. After all, you're supposed to write what you know. Hopefully learning from her mistakes, she started this book during a writing course, basing many of the stories on childhood experiences. And the only Toms in it are turkeys.
- Author(s)Melissa J Taylor
- Date of Publication27/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.85Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.52
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.