All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCodeswitching is the alternate use of two or more languages among bilingual interlocutors. It is distinct from borrowing, which involves the phological and morphological integration of a word from one language into ather. Codeswitching involves the mixing of phologically distinctive elements into a single utterance: Mi herma bought some ice cream. This volume examines the grammatical properties of languages mixed in this way, focusing on cases of language mixing within a sentence. It considers the grammar of codeswitching from a variety of perspectives, offering a collection of theoretically significant work by the leading researchers in the field. Each contribution investigates a particular grammatical phemen as it relates to bilingual codeswitching data, mostly from a Minimalist perspective. The contributors first offer detailed grammatical accounts of codeswitching, then consider phological and morphological issues that arise from the question of whether codeswitching is permitted within words. Contributors additionally investigate the semantics and syntax of codeswitching and psycholinguistic issues in bilingual language processing. The data analyzed include codeswitching in Spanish-English, Korean-English, German-Spanish, Hindi-English, and Amerindian languages. ContributorsShoba Bandi-Rao, Rakesh M. Bhatt, Sonia Colina, Marcel den Dikken, Anna Maria Di Sciullo, Daniel L. Finer, Kay E. Gonzalez-Vilbazo, Silvia Milian Hita, Jeff MacSwan, Pieter Muysken, Monica Moro Quintanilla, Erin O'Rourke, Ana Teresa Perez-Leroux, Edward P. Stabler Jr., Gretchen Sunderman, Almeida Jacqueline Toribio
- Author BiographyJeff MacSwan is Professor of Applied Linguistics in the Program in Language, Literacy, and Social Inquiry and of Language and Speech in the Program in Neuroscience and Cognitive Science at the University of Maryland.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication16/01/2015
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note15 b&w illus.
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJeff MacSwan
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.