All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the underground tunnels below Grand Central Terminal, Lee Stringer, homeless and drug-addicted, found a pencil to run through his crack pipe. One day he used it to write. Soon, writing became a habit that won over drugs. Soon after that, Stringer had written one of the most powerful urban memoirs of all time. With human wisdom and biting wit, Stringer chronicles the unravelling of his seemingly secure existence and the odyssey of survival on New York City's streets.
- Author BiographyLEE STRINGER's journey from childhood homelessness in the '60s, to adult homelessness in the '80s, to his present career as a writer and lecturer, as told in Sleepaway School and Grand Central Winter, is one of the great odysseys of contemporary American life and letters. Stringer is the only board member of Project Renewal who is also a former patient of the facility. He is the two-time recipient of the Washington Irving Award and, in 2005, a Lannan Foundation Residency. He is a former editor of and columnist for Street News. His essays and articles have appeared in a variety of other publications, including the Nation, the New York Times, and Newsday. He lives in Mamaroneck, New York, where he also serves on the board of the Mamaroneck Public Libraries. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Lee Stringer
- PublisherSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication29/07/2010
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Weight239 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $30.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.